What did you do today

Talk general bollocks here

Re: What did you do today

Postby Lederclaus » Sun May 14, 2017 1:44 am

I could borrow you a Ural solo gearbox for the journey if you can t get your 's repaired in time. Just give me a note...
The anonymous arena of the Internet allows certain tortured people to indulge their most spiteful and unpleasant urges with absolutely no concept of how it might feel to be on the receiving end. It is the perfect consequence-free environment. Tom Allen
Lederclaus
Planeta 350cc
Planeta 350cc

Postby mark_in_manchester » Mon May 15, 2017 10:32 pm

You're all very kind.

The bike goes into a van here probably end of July, to meet me and it's unseen bride (someone else's sidecar) in Poland in mid-August. Yes, this is one of those international-abduction forced-marriage scenarios.

I panicked and freaked out at my Polish mate / trip companion last weekend, but he seems quite OK with my bike messing up the schedule, and his kids and mine get on well - so, OK, we're going. I know I can fix the box, but I've done it before and it does not always stay fixed...hence the misgivings. But OK, shims are on order, car-valves in LH cylinder seem to be holding up OK, home-made Earles forks have not yet shown my welding to be as dodgy as I suspect... :-)

I'll post some more in the 'Ural' area on how the gearbox is going. In case you want to share my pain.
mark_in_manchester
Jupiter 350cc
Jupiter 350cc

Postby Lederclaus » Wed May 17, 2017 6:44 pm

Well, put a 20 Gauge Shot gun in the trunk and shoot the rig if it fails. The presence of the gun will convince the rig to cooperation. :mrgreen:
The anonymous arena of the Internet allows certain tortured people to indulge their most spiteful and unpleasant urges with absolutely no concept of how it might feel to be on the receiving end. It is the perfect consequence-free environment. Tom Allen
Lederclaus
Planeta 350cc
Planeta 350cc

Postby Lederclaus » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:31 am

Last month I was offered a 750 Ural rig from 2001 for a price I could not resist. So I bought it for my partner. She has learned to ride on own my Ural and is happy to have her own now.
There were minor things to do like balancing the carbs, set the tappet clearance, change the tub tyre and set the ignition timing. The front hub was very oval and braking was hardly possible. So I put the front wheel from my 650 rig in where I turned the hub round a couple of years ago. The wife of the former owner had a rollover last year with it and I had to repair the sidecar frame and some minor sheet metal work.
Runs loveley, what makes me nearvous a bit is some light noise frim the left hand side wrist pin. I´ll sort that out in winter. She´s using it as a commuter inside town, so no highway use yet.
The rig used to belong to a customer, I repaired the engine completely in 2006 or so and built in a Denso alternator and a boyer ignition. Still working fine.
We´ll see, what happens to it. As I know my partner Martina, this will become a new familiy member. Once she has become familiar with something she won´t let go again... :mrgreen:
Well, looking around among my customers and friends, my situation could be worse. I know lots of guys who have to argue about every bolt and bulb they need to buy for their bikes, because the wife needs a few new pairs of shoes.
Not me. If I need stuff, the answer is "well, buy it. I might need parts for my bike as well soon"
Lederclaus
Planeta 350cc
Planeta 350cc

Postby mark_in_manchester » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:59 pm

That all sounds really good.

My only reservation is that I have (many, many years too late) realised that many of the things about life that make no sense to me (like new cars, new consumer electronics, new washing machine, new shoes (!) ) suddenly make great sense if I encourage other people with old stuff, because then they need me to accompany them on every journey / clothes wash / etc etc as part of the tool kit. This had a recent effect with my old saxophone which my girl was learning on, which nearly caused me to come to violence with her (rather fussy and catastrophically mechanically ignorant) saxophone teacher. Sometimes I have to shrug and tell kids to talk to Mum and get her purse out.

But hey, maybe you get on with your partner and want to be always by her side :) So long as your input is viewed as 'great, you fixed _my_ bike' and not 'I'm tired of breaking down on _your_ bike' :)

In other news, my M63 is on a Polish truck on its way to a place near Lodz. No going back now. I took a spare LH head in case my valve modifications fall apart. I bet I now have a problem with the RH head.
mark_in_manchester
Jupiter 350cc
Jupiter 350cc

Postby Lederclaus » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:15 pm

Well, to cut a long story short: we decided to marry next year in August. After 24 years :mrgreen:
So I reckon we´ll stay together for a while...

I wish you have a great trip! This is something I did many years ago and I´m a bit jealous. Have a safe trip and return healthy!
Lederclaus
Planeta 350cc
Planeta 350cc

Postby mark_in_manchester » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:50 am

Thanks!

I'm not a very adventurous bloke, really - I imagine I have to cover every eventuality in advance, and since I run old vehicles (and car and 2 bikes remaining here have _all_ stopped working in last 2 weeks!) that isn't possible - I tend to be a bit too cautious. But I have been lucky to meet a few people who say 'OK, let's do it and treat the disasters as part of the experience'. Doing it as a team is so much better - it is so much easier (I find) to think clearly about someone else's problem, rather than my own. And (3 weeks to go) my habitual sense of impending doom is lifting and I'm starting to get excited.

Marriage in my experience (only 17 years cohab, and 14 holy matrimony :) ) is a bit like running a Ural - just as I think it is working well, it isn't any more; it sits around broken a lot demanding my unwilling attention, and I imagine what else I might be doing if I were without it; and now and again I get the enthusiasm to fix it (if I can
temporarily separate my self-respect from its functionality for long enough to remain motivated) in the certain knowledge that it's going to break again without warning, and soon.

But I'm sure a working marriage would be like a jap bike. What would be the point? :D

Hey, you've been together a long time already, and you know all that. My (sincere) congratulations.
mark_in_manchester
Jupiter 350cc
Jupiter 350cc

Postby Lederclaus » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:58 pm

Thanks!
We won´t after all this years walk on pink clouds after we´ll be married. We need to secure our claims against pension insurance and make shure any of us can run our business should something odd happen. We´ll sign the papers, have a party with our friends, who have supported us for decades and after that forget about it and live our lifes like we did the 24 years before. Like you I compare this with Ural ownership: Without a great amount of pragmatism it will take you nowhere :mrgreen:
Lederclaus
Planeta 350cc
Planeta 350cc

Previous

Return to The Pub