BMW into Ural

Post your ural issues and tips here.Both 650cc and 750cc

BMW into Ural

Postby gautrek » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:47 pm

I thought I would try to document my fitting of a R80 BMW engine into my M66 Ural.
This was decided up after trying to stop my Ural pissing oil out continually. The 650 is ok solo but is a bit gutless 2 up . I have been toying with doing this mod for a few years now . But have never felt the urge to do it. But after finally getting pissed off with the Ural engine I decided to go for it. I was going to do this conversion in a couple of months but the Ural started dying today with a slipping clutch. So the engine has to come out anyway.

I have been keeping an eye on Ebay for a motor but they are going for silly money. So it worked out easier to buy a complete bike. I bid £700 for this nail but it went for £1900

Which for a bike which needs loads spending on it to make a good bike seems stupid.
I ended up buying this R80 RT for £1400

I didn't really want to break a good bike. But have had no choice really. This has 50K on the clock and sounds a nice sweet engine. I am now in the middle of taking it apart.

Just out of interest Claus do you know what these relays are ?

I am now trawling the internet looking for advice and any drawings I can find.
1937 350cc Red Panther
1975 M66 ural outfit
1983 R80 BMW.
gautrek
Admin
Admin

Re: BMW into Ural

Postby Lederclaus » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:44 pm

Kev, i have a completely disassembled Ural rig with BMW engine in the shed . I built the bike years ago and it ran over 100.000 km in that setup.
If you like, hop on a plane and visit me. You can check everything out make a template of the gearbox and I can explain what I have done (how to weld the gearbox, widening the frame, what clutch parts, how to machine the gearbox to match with the clutch). A flight from London to Hamburg costs appr.100 Euro in and out

The relays are:from front to back: the small one on the cooling rack is the ignition module. Behind that is the regulator (3 pins: DF, D+ and D-), the small black one with "Wehrle" on it should be the flasher relay (if it has 3 pins 49, 49a and 31) the two silver ones should be relays for starter (5 pins) and horn (4 pins). The yellow one could be for the headlight. (high beam). If you switch light to hb it should make a noise and you should feel a click if you touch it.

What you`ll need for your Ural is the regulator, the ignition module and the starter relay. And a relay for the headlight has never been a bad idea. Light is brighter and the switch has only to handle milliamps
The anonymous arena of the Internet allows certain tortured people to indulge their most spiteful and unpleasant urges with absolutely no concept of how it might feel to be on the receiving end. It is the perfect consequence-free environment. Tom Allen
Lederclaus
Planeta 350cc
Planeta 350cc

Postby gautrek » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:59 pm

Cheers for that mate. I am going to see if the BMW wiring loom will fit on the Ural.
1937 350cc Red Panther
1975 M66 ural outfit
1983 R80 BMW.
gautrek
Admin
Admin

Postby Lederclaus » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:00 am

If your Ural wiring loom works well, keep it as it is.
the BMW loom is more complicated and has a negative ground line for everything (the brown wires)
If you put the regulator and starter relay into your Ural and keep the strong plus cable that comes with the BMW engine you're fine.Plus a strong negative ground cable from the gearbox to battery minus.
You might want to put a stronger battery into the rig to cope with the needs of the electric starter. The BMW alternator charges only 20 Amps @ 4000 rpm.
But if it works correctly that will do, even in a rig.
The anonymous arena of the Internet allows certain tortured people to indulge their most spiteful and unpleasant urges with absolutely no concept of how it might feel to be on the receiving end. It is the perfect consequence-free environment. Tom Allen
Lederclaus
Planeta 350cc
Planeta 350cc

Postby gautrek » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:28 am

I have a brand new battery with the BMW so will be using that. My ural needs a re wire anyway. I was planning to do that this year anyway.
1937 350cc Red Panther
1975 M66 ural outfit
1983 R80 BMW.
gautrek
Admin
Admin

Postby Lederclaus » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:10 am

I would keep that as simple as possible. Just put a relay für headlight and one for the horn in. A relay makes the horn as loud as you need to wake up the geriatric patients around you.
Lederclaus
Planeta 350cc
Planeta 350cc

Postby gautrek » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:26 pm

Well it lives.
After major issues with this project and then getting the arse with it I have finally got it running. It did take an auto electriction to sort out a wiring loom and get it running. I also stucka couple of 2nd hand coils on it and then it took a while to work out that one was faulty. After fitting the coils off my solo BMW and and realising that this was the issue I finally got it running. I have hada quick blast up and down the road on it and iot seems to go well. Just need an MOT now.

It was mare fitting the engine in the Ural frame as it doesn't really fit. So I am after a dnep frame as they are slightly longer.

But the carbs needs setting up once it on the road and I plan to rip it apart next winter for a good blast and paint.
1937 350cc Red Panther
1975 M66 ural outfit
1983 R80 BMW.
gautrek
Admin
Admin

Postby Lederclaus » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:15 pm

That looks tidy, mate!
Lederclaus
Planeta 350cc
Planeta 350cc

Return to Urals